Sunday, April 12, 2009

Fit Question....

Question for you readers:
Due to running and diabetes I have lost a lot of inches this year. The jacket I'm wearing below is a small, and clearly too big, but XS would have fit my arms funny. Tailoring is on its way though! The shirt in my Easter pic is an XS, and I had to keep pulling it up today as it draped off my body. Where on earth do you shop if you have a super petite upper half? I do still have somewhat of a bust line, but jackets which I wear all the time seem to be something impossible to find anymore! I used to frequent the Gap as my mainstay, and small is OK there, and Loft has recently been my fave, but that's where this shirt is from, and apparently only some work for me.
Any tips for a girl with a new body to dress? I know I look normal in pics, but I am truly struggling to find great fits right now, particularly in jackets, and this is almost like swearing here, but shopping has become less fun for me since few items fit right.
ANY stores or tips? Any brands you love that fit petite people? What's the best place for an hourglass girl that used to be a pear? Am I doomed to learn how to tailor?

3 comments:

  1. I recently went through the same thing. Many of my previous favorites don't fit anymore and some brands don't even come in small enough sizes. It sounds like such a stupid thing to whine about, but I totally understand. I have found a couple of great jackets this year - one at NY&Co. because it goes down to size 2 and one is a petite from The Loft. If you are having trouble fitting your upper half, I would definitely recommend trying petites. I always remind myself that being thinner does not equal "everything fits." Shopping and fit has it's hurdles not matter what size. Just be patient and try on everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get most of my clothes at Ross or TJMaxx. I'm not a petite (by far! ;-), but I am an hourglass, and they have so many styles that you're bound to find something!

    love, Love, LOVE your blog!!!!!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the jackets I have are a size 0P, and in dresses I have to wear the smallest size they have. Oddly enough, my measurements (35, 26, 35) would suggest that I could wear a lot bigger size than I really do...it's just that with my build/proportions I need a smaller size. But just like I'm sure you've found when you were pear shaped that some looks just weren't for you, you may find with this new shape that you can only wear well fitted clothing (knit tops that are tighter, or very sharply tailored jackets and dresses). Another tip would be to belt things that are too loose, or stick to short sleeve styles so you do not have to worry about sleeve lengths. If you need more room in the shoulders, I would try a skinny belt over your loose jacket to keep the jacket looking more tailored to your smaller frame.

    You look great, though, and I'm sure you'll figure out some really flattering solutions that the rest of us would love to hear about!

    ReplyDelete